Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Just Couldn't Wait

I can honestly say that one of the traits that I like about myself is that I'm a pretty patient person. I didn't always used to be this way, so I think that's why I'm proud of the fact. I mean, I did grow up an only child and while I wasn't totally spoiled like some only children are, I did get what I wanted when I wanted it often enough. I would say that after moving back home from being in the Los Angeles area for junior college is when I noticed that my unwillingness to wait started to fade. I began to realize that some things in life really are worth the wait and good things come to those who wait.

There are, however, exceptions when I am not so patient. Like when I bought Jody a PlayStation 3 for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving and had every intention to not give it to him until we agreed to do gifts for each other a few days before Christmas. And I was doing so well; only providing him with sayings like, "You're going to love your gift," and "I can't wait to see your reaction when you open your gift." But then around the middle of December I just couldn't take it anymore and told him that I needed to just let him open his gift. He wasn't even pressuring me to open it early; no, I did that for him. I just couldn't wait.

Another example of my unwillingness to wait has surfaced with my pregnancy and wanting to find out the sex of the baby. I don't want to wait until I'm 20 weeks to know; especially because I know doctors can tell sooner than that. Don't they know that I need to start planning the nursery, and start shopping for my registry to prepare for the baby's arrival, and narrow our list of names down so it's not so frustrating to decide on our favorites?! So, I took matters into my own hands and started researching baby gender prediction tests that a friend of mine told me about. That's when I found IntelliGender. I decided that since it claimed to be 90% accurate and was touted on the show The Doctors, I had nothing to lose. And more importantly, I just couldn't wait.

Now, from the very beginning of this pregnancy, both Jody and I have had a very strong feeling that it's a boy. And when we went to our first ultrasound and got to see the little one, even the profile looked like it was going to be a boy. So I went to Target after work a few weeks ago, bought the last kit available (guess I wasn't the only one who couldn't wait), read the instructions that I had to wait to use my first morning urine (patience Jacqueline), even had a dream that night that I gave birth to a boy, shot out of bed as soon as the alarm went off, took the test, and in less than the 10 minutes it claimed to take...results said boy!

Of course I still wanted to be sensible so I wasn't running around telling everyone that I was pregnant with a boy. And I didn't go out and buy blue paint for the nursery. But we have focused our efforts to only boy names, which has proven to be harder to agree on than the list we have for girls. And we still refer to the baby as "him" and "little boy." We'll know for sure in a couple of weeks when we go in for the 20 week ultrasound. If when we go in and it ends up being a girl, we'll be just as excited - though I will feel a little bad for calling her a "him" for so long. But if our strong feeling from the beginning and the results of the IntelliGender were correct, then my just couldn't wait moment will be justified and I won't feel guilty for not being patient.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jackie, you are so funny. Everyone can tell I'm pregnant and always ask me if I know what I'm having. I want to find out partly so I can just have something to tell people. That and I really want to know. I don't know how people wait the whole time! I don't even have my ultra sound appointment yet, my doctors are so relax about that stuff. I need to get on them, this is important information!!!

    ReplyDelete