Sunday, May 9, 2010

Memories Created and Memories Remembered

I’d like to start off by saying Happy Mother’s Day to all of the moms, moms-to-be, and to those that have been like a mom. You are truly amazing individuals who love your children like no one else could. You sacrifice so much to make sure your children's lives are full. I’m looking forward to creating that bond with my child soon.

Memories Created: Mother’s Day was very enjoyable for me. It started on Saturday when after the gym, I came home to a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a card from Jody. It made me smile big time and even brought a tear to my eye. (Being pregnant definitely has made me more emotional). I’m so grateful to have a husband who shows me he loves me! It’s the little things that mean so much.

Today, we drove up to Chico/Paradise to share Mother’s Day with my mom. We met at Marie Calendars for lunch but got there about 30 minutes before our reservation. Jody was already starving so we walked next door to Taco Bell and grabbed a Pintos and Cheese – I might have had a couple of bites too. After lunch we went to my parent's house for some dessert and conversation. My mom found a new recipe on allrecipes.com for a strawberry bunt cake and then topped it off with chocolate covered strawberries. I was more excited about the chocolate covered strawberries only because the bunt cake was so rich.

Memories Remembered: Because we're budgeting to prepare for the baby, I made a gift for my mom that ended up meaning a lot more to her than something expensive I could have bought. I went to Michael's and bought a decorative storage box, took small pieces of nice paper, and wrote down a bunch of memories that I have of my mom throughout my life to make a Memory Box. I was actually surprised that I was able to think of so many and ended up filling the entire box. If I hadn't of run out of the paper I was using I could have written down even more memories. While we sat at the table, she went through and read them out loud so we were able to elaborate on the memory by reliving the story it went along with.

In the process of writing down the memories for the box I went through my photo box to stir up some of the memories that I had forgotten about. In doing so I came across my favorite picture of my mom and I that was taken when I was three years old. I decided to take the picture with me up to my mom’s so we could recreate the photo. Almost 26 years later, I don’t quite fit in her lap the same way I once did and we both look different, but I love that both pictures capture the love we share. My mom is one of my best friends and I hope to share a similar bond with my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment