Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Weekend in the Pines

Last Friday was my final furlough day. I had a doctor's appointment in the morning and got to hear Mallory's heartbeat. Though I'd rather see her on an ultrasound, it still makes me smile to hear her heartbeat. The doctor is always surprised at how quickly she can find it; usually on the first attempt at putting the Doppler on my tummy. My doctor confirmed that her head is down near my pelvic bone which is why I've been feeling more pressure when I run, but there isn't a reason for concern. I was given my lab work for the glucose test that I need to do before my next appointment and I'm really not looking forward to it. That much sugar at once never leaves you feeling good.

After the appointment, Jody and I got ready and headed to the store to grab our share of groceries that we were taking up to the Hillier's cabin in Pollock Pines. We were invited by Jeff and Kasey to share in a relaxing weekend in the pines along with our other friends Dreyson and Jessica. After traveling in Fresno last week, a weekend in the pines was exactly what I was looking forward to and I was excited to spend some quality time with great friends that we don't get too see often. We brought Leo since Chopper and Bishop were coming as well. On the ride up Leo couldn't stop being awkward and nervous and it was annoying the hell out of me. I love him, but he is such a wimp. Though as soon as we got to the cabin and he met his new friends, he had the time of his life. Normally he sleeps a lot throughout the day, but not this weekend. The entire time we were there the only time he slept was as night. He was like a kid in a candy store when it came to his new friends.

Friday night we enjoyed the fire pit and made s'mores while playing Categories. I was excited for the s'mores because I've been craving them ever since camping season started. I camped a lot as a kid and s'mores were always a staple. Saturday we drove over to Jenkinson Lake and finagled a campground spot right next to the water from the park ranger for the price of a daily pass. Threw the dogs in the lake and laughed as Leo tried everything he could to get away - once again, a total wimp. Us girls got brave and propped our chairs in the shallow part of the lake and had some good laughs and gossiped like we do best while the boys struggled to get the BBQ lit.

Played an abundance of games: Risk, Cranium, and Mad Gab. The Jenkins' dominated in Risk, the ladies killed the boys in Cranium, and the boys only beat the ladies by one point in Mad Gab. It's tough being so good. We were each responsible for certain meals which worked out perfectly. We all got to taste each others cooking and ate very well. Though now I'm at the point in my pregnancy where if I eat even just a little too much I'm so uncomfortable. But when you're surrounded by good food, it's hard not to want to taste it all.

Sunday came too quickly. Not only was I sad to be leaving a fun weekend in the pines, I was really not looking forward to being snapped back to reality as I had to leave again that evening for work. This time, off to San Francisco for a couple of days. The only silver lining I saw was that I was leaving the deadly heat of Sacramento just in time to enjoy the perfect weather of San Francisco. But I still would rather have stayed in the heat to soak in the smell of a few more pines and enjoy a few more memories created amongst friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment