Saturday, July 3, 2010

Folsom Firecracker 5K

This morning was the Folsom Firecracker 5K Run that Jody and I participated in. Now that we live in Folsom, I like to compete in as many of the local runs as I can not only because the money goes towards things in our own community, but also because it means I don't have to wake up even earlier to drive there. When the run begins at 8am and you have to get there 30 minutes ahead of time just to find parking and stand in the mile-long port-a-potty line, any extra time that it would take to drive further means losing sleep. Needless to say I really like when the races are local.

Normally Jody doesn't participate in the actual run; he's usually cheering me on and taking pictures. But this time when I asked him if he wanted to run with me he surprisingly said yes without me having to sell the idea to him. However, this morning before he had his cup of coffee, he wasn't so thrilled about running at 8am anymore. I just smiled and kept my mouth shut because I knew once he had his coffee he would be fine. I love that I know my husband so well already!

The course was along the American River bike trail which is great for the scenery while running, but good grief are the hills killer. Not just rollings hills, steep grades that were pretty long at some parts. And as bad as I wanted to push myself to keep a fast pace the whole run, I was more focused on listening to my body now that I'm 27 weeks pregnant and just making sure I wasn't overdoing it. So I would just slow down during the steep parts and concentrate on my breathing. It worked well as I was able to run the whole thing without having to stop to walk and finished in 29:16 for a 9:25 average per mile. Surprisingly I did better this time than at Run with Nature in May. Jody also did better than he thought he would considering he estimated he'd be running along with me at my pace. But he surpassed me towards the beginning of the race and I didn't see him again until I crossed the finish line. I knew he would; it's hard not to succumb to the adrenaline you get when you're in a race to run faster than you normally would if you were running by yourself.

Folsom Firecracker 5K Run was successful and fun for both Jody and I, and I'm really glad we were able to participate in it together. If Mallory isn't born with a pair of running shoes on, I'd be shocked. With both parents as runners, she should at least become one when she's able to!





No comments:

Post a Comment