Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Truly Thankful

Thanksgiving this year was nice and relaxing; exactly what I was hoping for. My dad, Sue, and sisters drove from Colorado to stay with us for the week. It was their first time meeting Mallory and it was really fun to see my dad as a grandpa. I think it's still surreal for him to think that he's a grandpa now, but I know he loves that he is. It was very helpful to have them here for the week so I was able to have some time to myself. Sue slid right into her grandma role and was loving on Mallory as well. I'm so thankful that my family loves having a new baby around.

So not only was I able to have others around to take over Mallory duty, I also didn't have to worry about preparing Thanksgiving dinner. Normally I love playing party planner and host, but I'm still getting used to being Mallory's mommy and didn't have the energy. Luckily Sue and Jamie took over and prepared a fabulous feast for us to enjoy. Jamie brought the famous Honey Baked Ham and Sue whipped up some very delicious sides. We definitely had plenty of food and had no problem devouring it.

Before chowing down on the Thanksgiving grub, my dad and I participated in Folsom's Turkey Trot run that morning. Though we didn't have to face any rain, we braved some really cold temperatures. Personally I love running when it's cold and couldn't have asked for better weather. I was really happy to have my dad running the race with me - his first time doing a race. We ended up getting separated pretty much as soon as we started. In previous years I've ran the 10K, but only had time to train my body to run the 5K this year. I was able to keep a 9:00 minute mile pace and finish in 27:55 - probably one of my personal bests for a 5K. My dad finished at a great pace and shocked even himself. I'm very proud of him and hope it's not his last race.

At the end of the day I was smiling to myself, recapping all of the recent things that have occurred in my life that I am truly thankful for. God has blessed me personally as well as Jody and I as a couple. Though Mallory is a tough baby, we still are very fortunate to have her in our lives. This might sound weird to some, but a part of me is glad I struggled a bit to get Mallory here because it makes me realize how much of a blessing children really are. I have been able to dodge layoffs and instead receive a promotion at a job I really love. I am healthy. I have a roof over my head. I have the best family and friends. These are just a few of the things that I am thankful for.

1 comment: