Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Date with John Mayer

Last Wednesday night, Jody and I got to enjoy a weekday date night and go see John Mayer in concert at Sleep Train Amphitheater. I love me some John Mayer - his music and his looks, though I will say that when he had his hair longer I wasn't as impressed. Thankfully his hair is back to short so I can continue to crush on him. I had been looking forward to this concert ever since finding out his tour was coming our way and deciding that even though I would be 35 weeks pregnant enduring the summer heat, it was still going to be worth it.

The last time I - we - had seen John in concert was back in 2007, and he's put out some really good albums since then. I had wanted to see him when he was going to tour after releasing Battle Studies, but he cancelled the tour to have throat surgery. But he's back baby, and in my opinion performed a great show. He played a nice mixture of songs; from his newest album Born and Raised, Battle Studies, Continuum, and even Room for Squares. He did a Bob Hope cover and also performed a new song that I believe will be on his next album. He can't hit the high notes like he used to, but besides having throat surgery he's also getting older so you can't expect things to remain the same forever. It was also fun to see him so into the guitars he was shuffling through and even had a couple of stories about some of them.

The only complaint I had about the whole night was that it was pretty hot, at times even muggy. Thankfully it was only for about an hour when we first got there and once the sun completely set, there was even a bit of a breeze that made it much more bearable for the rest of the night. Oh, and the mosquito bites on my feet weren't fun though I'm not surprised I got some. I was even wearing bug spray but I am a magnet for mosquitoes, so it's only fitting that I received a few.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from our lovely date night to share. Venue rules don't allow cameras with removable lenses so I was out of luck to bring mine in. I didn't even try and I'm glad I didn't because I saw another couple at the gate on the way in with one and they were getting lectured to go put it back in their car before they'd be allowed to go in. No one wants to have to be seen putting a nice camera back in a car that will sitting empty for a few hours; recipe for disaster. One day soon I'll have an iPhone though so I'll at least have that as a backup to my Canon because I would have loved to have some pictures. I'll have to rely on my memory alone for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment