Monday, August 30, 2010

Cramping My Style


Today I am officially 35-weeks along. Though we're ready for Mallory's arrival and very excited to meet her, I had a moment last night as I was sitting in her room that she will be here before we know it and I started to feel a little anxious. For some reason I've had this feeling that I'm not going to make it to my due date and she'll be early. If so I wouldn't mind but at the same time, I need her to wait until I'm done with my last three events at work. The biggest one is next week, starts on Monday (yes, I have to work on Labor Day) and goes until Friday, and it's in San Francisco. Normally I love traveling for work, but the fact that I'll be 36-weeks along worries me a little because if something were to happen, San Francisco is not an easy city to get out of should I need to come home in a hurry. And I really, really don't want to give birth in San Francisco in an unfamiliar hospital, with an unfamiliar doctor, and no husband to support me as I deliver our first child.

So this is what I was pondering last night as I sat in Mallory's room and why I became anxious. And though I know there is nothing that I can do so worrying about it isn't going to help, it's hard for me not to think about the possibility of it happening. However, I was able to brush the thought away and enjoy the rest of my evening by going through her layette again to makes notes of what we still need to get. Then at 4:00am I was woken up with lovely Braxton Hicks contractions that kept me from being able to sleep. It's not the first time that I've gotten them, but last night they were much stronger. When I got out of bed at 5:30am they actually got a little worse and I started to feel nauseous. I even skipped my morning run as I didn't want to push myself. All morning as I got ready for work they were definitely cramping my style and put those anxious thoughts of San Francisco back in my head.

So I've decided that I'm going to monitor how I feel for the rest of the week and when I go to my doctor's appointment this Thursday I'm going to talk to my doctor about it. If he suggests that I not travel then Friday will be an interesting day coming to work to tell the team that I won't be able to go to the conference; and by interesting I mean people are going to be upset because their workload just got harder. If that happens I will feel very bad because I hate leaving my work for others to have take over, especially when I've put so much time and effort into this conference and I'd love to see how it goes. But at the same time work is not worth the possibility of having my first birthing experience be a horrible one. Guess I'll have to wait to see if these Braxton Hicks decide to continue to cramp my sytle.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that your body is talking to you! Mother's instinct about her child coming earlier? You may be right! Ted and I rented a cottage near by till the 1st. Then I will be staying with Jamie until Miss Mallory greets us! Ted needs to be home by the 1st. Sarah is babysitting and needs to get back on the 2nd.

    I know the strechies, as I called them can be powerful! Hang in there, they are your friend!

    ReplyDelete