Tuesday, December 21, 2010

13.1 Club

As most of you know, I'm an avid runner. Toward the later part of living down in southern California, I took my hobby of running to the next level and started participating in 5K/10K charity races. I have continued to do so and have probably competed in at least 30 races over the years. I don't run them with the intention to win any of the divisions, but I still get the competitive adrenaline as if though I was. Keeping myself involved in them also gives me more motivation to continue my hobby. About three years ago I stepped up my racing desire and began training for longer distances so I could participate in half marathons.

So far I've trained for three half marathons; funny thing is, I still have yet to cross the half marathon finish line. In the midst of training for those races, situations came up that prevented me from being able to fulfill my training. The first time was due to injury, the second time was due to sickness, and the third time was due to finding out we were pregnant and not wanting to risk anything in the first trimester. All valid reasons, but all reasons that killed it for me.

While pregnant with Mallory I was fortunate enough to continue my running but I decreased my mileage. I told myself that once Mallory was born I would recover and begin training for Shamrock Half Marathon in March 2011. It's one of my favorite courses to run and I'm really excited to cross my first half marathon finish line. I'm officially registered for the race as of today and I will officially start my training in January. If I get injured I'll push through the pain. If I get sick I'll just down a bunch of cold medicine. If I get pregnant...well, that won't happen and I've made sure of it. No more reasons for me to start training a fourth time for a half marathon and not cross the finish line. I'm committed to fulfilling my training this time so I can finally be part of the 13.1 club that I've worked so hard for.

No comments:

Post a Comment