Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Magic of the Swaddle

Mallory has slept through the night two days in a row now and I couldn't be happier! She's been going down just after 9 pm and getting up around 6 am. Luckily both Jody and I prefer to go to sleep early so we get ready for bed as soon as she's down which means I've been getting a good seven hours of continuous sleep. Even before Mallory was born I wasn't getting that much sleep because I was so uncomfortable with the pregnancy so a good night's sleep was long overdue for me. When I woke up on Wednesday morning I almost didn't believe that I hadn't gotten up to feed her. I thought maybe I was just so tired that I didn't remember getting up. Once I realized that she hadn't woken up there was a brief moment of worry so I went and checked on her; she was snoring away!

I've only made one change to her sleeping routine and I think it's safe to say it was a great adjustment. A few weeks ago I switched her from the swaddle wrap to a sleep sack. I figured she was getting old enough that she might prefer having more freedom to move while sleeping. The swtich didn't cause her to get up more times than before so I kept putting her in the sleep sack. Then about a week ago, she started going from waking up once a night to waking up twice a night. So I started re-evaluating things and decided to try putting her back in the swaddle wrap. It worked the first night and again last night so I'll be sticking with the magic of the swaddle for as long as I can. If it ensures that I get a good night's sleep I'll swaddle her for the next 18 years!

1 comment:

  1. My oldest we swaddled for almost 9 months, haha! But it was definitely worth it for the good sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete