Monday, January 20, 2014

Nolan: Five Months


This post will be short because I don't have much time left before the monsters awake from their slumber. With my sleep and energy being thrown off my to-do list has been taking a hit. And even though sometimes it feels like things are piling up because I hit the pause button, I know that it's more important that at this time I do what I need to do. Everything else can wait and will still be there when I'm ready.

The hardest part of this past month with Nolan has been the sleepless nights. So this past weekend sleep training him became my #1 priority. Selfishly I want to do it because I am so incredibly tired and crave continuous sleep so bad, but also because I could tell that even he wasn't getting enough sleep. When he didn't sleep well his mood the next day was noticeably different; just not his normal, happy self. So if I have to teach this kid the importance of sleep the hard way, that's what I will do.

He's completely over being swaddled but he still likes his fleece blankets. Now that he has the ability to move around freely in his crib, he's taken to sleeping on his tummy. It's also how he usually passes out from a "crying it out" session. His panda bear Glow Buddy accompanies him to bed now. Not only does its tummy glow but it plays lullabies so it helps lull him to sleep. He's gotten very good at rolling over and will roly poly his way around, especially if there's something he sees and wants. Anything he gets his hands on go straight into his mouth no matter what. He'll even try to steal it out of your hands if he's close enough. And if it's food, you have to be even more careful that he doesn't swipe it. He has become much more interested in food as of late. When I hold him and eat, he'll lean his nose into my mouth as if though he's trying to smell it while I chew. I've let him suck on an apple slice and he just goes to town like it's the best thing on earth; drooling and slurping all over my hand as I hold it for him.

He's mastered laughing but has this short chuckle that he decides to do more often. Almost a lazy laugh that reminds me of that stupid MTV show Beavis and Butt-head. It's not cute on the television show but Nolan seems to turn it into adorable. Everything babies do is cute, who are we kidding! It's also super cute when he won't stop jumping in your lap as you're trying to hold him. He's definitely getting good use out of the Einstein Jumper and his new doorway jumper that his auntie Sasha got him for Christmas. He's an active kid for sure and I'm already seeing glimpses of how he's going to give me a run for my money. I can't even tell you how many times already I've had to run and leap to catch him from falling off of things. A "think later" kind of kid. Keeps us on our toes, that's for sure!





No comments:

Post a Comment