Monday, September 27, 2010

Take Comfort in Rituals

Normally right now I would be picking out something to wear, coming downstairs to pack a lunch, grabbing a couple of treats to give to The Buds, double-checking to make sure I grabbed what I needed for the day, and heading out to my car to drive to work. Instead I'm enjoying some jazz music in the background, blogging, and getting ready to start on my extra long to-do list that I'm looking forward to doing because I get satisfaction out of crossing things off in red ink. But before I start that to-do list, I'll go on another walk in hopes to keep these contractions progressing towards getting Mallory out.

Last Friday as I finished up my preparations to depart for maternity leave, I was a little caught off-guard at the melancholy feeling I had knowing that I wouldn't be back for four months. I really enjoy my job - even during the stressful times - and very much enjoy the people that I work with. And even though I know it's not going anywhere and I will soon be so busy filled with happiness, joy, and love for this little girl I'm still going to miss the daily work routine that I've become so accustom to. Starbucks has a slogan on its door right now that makes me smile: Take Comfort in Rituals. I think it's safe to say that most people enjoy their rituals; it makes them feel in control and content that what they're doing is a result of the effort that they put forth. Personally, I like routines. I have no problem embracing change or spontaneity - you have to in my line of work - but having and sticking to some sort of a routine is comforting.

So, in my typical ritual-like fashion I had to make sure that my home-away-from-home cubical was totally clutter-free and 100 percent organized before I left. I probably reorganized my space at least three times before I was content with leaving it alone. I even made sure to clean out my inbox to the point where I think I only left one unfiled email. The workaholic in me will most likely still check my work Blackberry every now and then because I can't help myself, but I'm also excited knowing that the workaholic side of me will be tamed once Mallory arrives. While I take pride in the fact that I have a good work ethic I'm looking forward to experiencing an "I don't care" attitude for a little bit because I'll be so enamored by my little girl. And though she's going to turn our current routine upside down at first, I take comfort knowing that our new ritual will be even better once we have her in our daily life.

1 comment:

  1. I love crossing off on my list! Thats the best part of having a list! xo

    ReplyDelete