Sunday, October 3, 2010

Mallory's Room

As of this morning, I can now finally say that I am done with Mallory's room. The thing that had me hung up on completing it was what I was going to do about the mobile above her crib. I've never been a fan of the overpriced ones that usually coordinate with the bedding set you order that clip on to the side of the crib, so from the very beginning I told myself that I would make one myself. I set out to search for ideas and came up with quite a few. Only problem was that most of the ones that I really liked were not going to be easy to create. Now it's not like I was looking for the easiest creation out there - because I enjoy creative challenges - I just didn't want to poor a bunch of time and money into something if I wasn't sure it would turn out to be what I wanted. My favorite was an idea that I got from Pottery Barn Kids; the Butterfly Chandelier that was an outrageous $80. Not only would I never pay that much money for a mobile, Mallory's theme is not butterflies so it wouldn't have matched anyway. But in looking at it, it really looked like something I could make for much less and then I would be able to choose the colors and design I wanted.


So about a month ago when my mom came down for a girl's weekend we went over to Michaels to get the supplies. When I got about half way done putting the items on my list in the cart, I paused and started thinking realistically - this was going to be a much more time-consuming project than I thought. Knowing that I was going to be extremely busy with events at work until I left for maternity leave, I decided it wasn't worth stressing myself out over a mobile. So I put everything back and went with my second choice - tissue paper pom poms from good ol' Martha Stewart. And though mine look slightly different than Martha's, I'm still pleased with the results.

Every time I go upstairs and pass by Mallory's room, it makes me smile. I can't wait to share it with her; even though I know that she'll have no concept of its design. Seeing as I'll be spending a lot of my time in there for the first few months, it might as well be a place that we can both enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. J&J, The room looks great! Mallory is going to love it! Even if she only remembers it from pictures since you'll more than likely change it by the time she's old enough to really notice! I almost bought those same wall flowers this weekend for Jessi's room! She still wants me to go back and get them!

    Love you all!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete