Friday, December 30, 2011

A Different Approach

I just got back from a really good five-mile run outside on a lovely route that I created using the awesome Gmaps Pedometer. The weather is overcast and mild today; my ideal kind of running conditions. A little while back I decided to take a break from training for races. I still wanted to run for exercise, but I also wanted to try something new so I found Basic Training (BT). I signed up for BT this past April with the intention of only doing it long enough to get the drills down and then I would do it on my own, but I ended up falling in love with everything about working out as part of a team and I've been doing BT ever since. I am amazed at the results that I have seen and can confidently say that I am happy with my body. I'm smaller than I was before getting pregnant and more toned than from any other weight-lifting program I've tried in the past. Ladies, if you have the opportunity to try this type of workout for one-month, I promise you'll love it too!

So back to my run today; though I haven't been running as many miles a week as I used to before starting BT, I think my stamina has improved. My sis Jamie and I have signed up for the Shamrock'n Half Marathon and I will switch back over to training mode soon. I'm going to tweak my normal training plan a bit and try a different approach; I plan to incorporate BT-type of workouts and I'm getting rid of my watch. I will not be timing my miles until a week prior to the race. I want to stop focusing on the time that's ticking on my wrist and focus on the way the run is making me feel. The last few times I've left my watch behind when I go out for my run, I've enjoyed it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment