Sunday, March 6, 2011

To the Zoo

I was really looking forward to this weekend. Not because we had spectacular plans, but because we really didn't have any plans at all. Sometimes those are the best kinds of weekends. Especially when the week has been long. I'm still trying to get used to juggling work and family life without going crazy. I now know why my mom always used to say, "There never seems to be enough time in a day." Jody and I didn't even discuss weekend plans until Friday morning over a text message conversation. And his idea was a fabulous one; taking Mallory to the zoo.


We've never been to the Folsom Zoo before so it was the first time for the whole family. We thought about going to the Sacramento Zoo - which we've never been to either - but Mallory had developed an awful sounding cough by Friday evening and we didn't want to drive all the way down to Sacramento just in case we needed to come home right away. Besides, Mallory is still pretty young for the zoo so maybe we'll save the better zoo until she's a bit older. As we walked around to all of the different animal cages, I noticed she was more interested in gnawing on her carrier and watching the other people there rather than the animals. To give her credit though, most of the animals were sleeping and hard to see so I don't blame her for being more entertained by the kids who were running around screaming and laughing. The Folsom Zoo is definitely nothing to write home about, but it was nice to get out as a family and enjoy the sunshine before the rain moved in.


My biggest disappointment about the zoo was the fact that they had no monkeys. No monkeys?! In my opinion, monkey's are one of the best parts about the zoo. And yet, there were none. They did have a couple of mountain lions that were pretty intimidating and fascinating to watch. One of them was literally pacing in the cage at an abnormally quick pace; almost like he was planning his escape route outta there. Other than a ton of male peacocks taking over the place and displaying their feathers for all to see, the selection of animals at the Folsom Zoo was limited. After the zoo we headed over to the park right next door. They have a really great area for infants/toddlers to play so we took Mallory through some of it. I can't wait until she's old enough to run around on her own, exploring all of the fun park activities.



3 comments:

  1. Can you guys share this last photo with us on my page on face book? Papa is down bad, with no voice and a bad cough! Watch out for buggies out there! Be home for Easter! Nama is coming to play Miss Mallory! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey we were there Saturday. It was such a nice day. I think they have monkeys in the cage by the cats normally but they weren't out that day for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time. I didn't know Folsom had a zoo. I remember when my kids were growing up, some of the best outings we had were from smaller, less known kind of things that were in our own "backyard". We took the kids a number of times to a petting zoo in San Jose. And never mind the photo request from nama. I clicked on it and drug it to my desktop. I don't think she has the concept yet of digital photography and iMac computers.

    ReplyDelete