Thursday, May 5, 2011

April's Channeling Martha Moment

Yes, I realize that it is no longer April and I'm late with this post but I have two good reasons for it. One, things have been so crazy and hectic lately (mostly at work) that when I get home, blogging isn't on my to-do list. All I want to do is relax with my family as much as possible before hitting the sheets earlier than usual because I'm so exhausted. Two, I really wasn't that impressed with the outcome of April's channeling Martha moment so it was hard for me to get excited to write about it.

When I first read about the Crepe Paper Carrots I thought it was such a creative way to wrap little gifts for Easter baskets. There weren't too many materials required to do it and the how-to steps looked really simple. However, I somehow managed to make it more difficult than it needed to be. Unwinding the orange streamers to wrap around the gifts in the shape of a carrot was my first hurdle. Those stupid rolls are almost impossible to unwind without creating twists in the paper which then make it hard to wind back up around the gifts, all the while trying to keep it in the shape of a carrot. I almost gave up because it was making me so angry. Jody laughed at me struggling away at the dining room table and I don't blame him. I finally just had to throw it down on the table and walk away for a minute to collect myself. Who knew that a paper carrot would get me so flustered! I came back to it once I had calmed down and finished my carrots. That's when I realized that to create the green tops I had bought green streamers instead of green crepe paper - I didn't realize there was a difference. Instead of making another trip just to buy the correct paper, I used what I had and improvised a bit. The end result turned out acceptable, but definitely not Martha Stewart-worthy in my opinion. I liked the way they looked once I put them in the Easter basket along with the other items, but I will not be doing this project again next Easter!


2 comments:

  1. Hello my Jackie D..I liked those carrots when I saw them in the mag, am proud of you for your effort. Crepe paper is a difficult medium, yours look better than ones I would make for sure! Many of her projects are best when you "try" the first time and "get it" the second! I love your spirit daughter...Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved those when i saw them in my mag. how amazing is martha. ur look pretty darn good if u ask me!!

    ReplyDelete