Thursday, April 25, 2013

DIY: Crib Skirt

I want to give a HUGE "thank you" to my mother for helping me pull this DIY project off. She lent me her sewing machine to put together the crib skirt and finish completing the other sewing projects that I have. She also walked me through each step, since it's been at least a decade since the last time I have sewn anything. My mom and I used to sew stuff together all the time growing up, and I always remember having a blast. We had a great time doing it again yesterday morning, and I am very grateful for her assistance because the finished product turned out exactly as I had envisioned it in my mind.

I also want to give props to Pinterest for guiding me to find this incredible tutorial to create my own crib skirt for much, MUCH less than buying one. I used about two yards of fabric, costing me less than $10 - way cheaper than the $70 skirts online that I was eying. The tutorial was super easy to follow along and was a perfect re-introduction back into the world of sewing. The only hard part that we came across was trying to cut the fabric in a straight line - the pattern is deceiving as we thought we could use the ovals as our guide but quickly realized they weren't totally lined up with each other. The middle seam of the dining room table served as our path for the scissors to glide across when we had to make our cuts - I might have to rethink selling that thing.

Pressing the seams (with chocolate of course!) and the panels ready to be sewn

I forgot to get some pictures of me sewing in action, but once I got going I was in a groove to get the panels done so I could see the completed skirt on the crib. I am so, so pleased with how it turned out. And I'm also really proud of myself for how well I did. Some of my hems are a little wavy, but you'd have to get up really close to notice. Other than that I didn't make any mistakes causing me to have to start over on any panels. It didn't take me long to finish sewing everything and after tacking in the panels underneath the mattress, voila! I'll probably also make a small pillow to add on top of his mattress. I need to make the sheets still, but I'll definitely need help from my mom on that project. The fabric for the sheets will be different - a solid with the colors from the skirt. I'm hoping for the green color but we'll have to see if we can find something close enough to match. You'll also notice the blue shelf that I'm using as a nightstand and the cute lamp; those are some of my IKEA purchases that I'll explain later. Things are coming together nicely for baby Nolan!

TA-DA!!

3 comments:

  1. Boy... that looks so cute! You girls have some talent. I do wish I had my machine again. I found that sewing was very calming at night while my babies slept and I made their clothes. See you girls tomorrow. I look forward to my Monster time! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, that looks great! So nice to have the talent to make things like this yourself. You mom did a great job raising you!! And I know you'll pass those traits on to your kids as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photos look great Jackie, you are a quick learner and only needed a minimal amount of instruction...this is going to be fun creating Nolan's (and maybe some grownup stuff for Mallory) peaceful, cozy environment! Great job! Love you, I had a fun time with my girls.

    ReplyDelete