Monday, July 19, 2010

Assembly Required...Sort Of

Last Thursday I confirmed with JC Penney that Mallory's furniture had arrived at their store and was ready for pickup. I was so excited and couldn't wait for the weekend so Jody could start putting it together. Because we don't have a truck, we rented a truck from Lowe's on Friday evening and made our way over to Sunrise Mall. (Side note: renting a truck from Lowe's was much cheaper and easier than I thought it would be and highly recommend it for others in our truckless situation.) When we got there I stayed inside the air conditioned vehicle while Jody and the JC Penney employee hoisted the boxes up in the truck. I knew I wasn't going to be of any help so why stand in the 100 degree heat to watch them. The first test for me came once we got back to the house. I had to help Jody get the furniture off the truck and with both boxes weighing 100+ pounds each I was a little nervous. But we had a good system and were able to get them into the garage pretty easily. Mission number one accomplished.

Saturday my mom came into town so her and I could have some girl time and go shopping. We were leaving Jody behind with mission number two; get the crib and dresser assembled in Mallory's room. He was out in the garage unwrapping the dresser and came in before
my mom and I left saying that the dresser was already completely assembled. What?! How easy was that! Half of mission two was accomplished in less than five minutes; except the fact that we would then need to figure out how we were going to get it up the stairs. The dresser was the heavier of the two items.

The crib was definitely an assembly required piece and we left him to his project. While I was having a great time shopping with my mom, I couldn't help but think about getting home to see the crib set up. When I called him to see how it was going, he had completed mission number two and was pleasantly surprised that the crib was somewhat easy to put together. It's always nice when things turn out easier than expected. The first thing I did when we got home from shopping was run upstairs. It was beautiful! Even though the mattress still hadn't arrived, I put the bedding in the crib just to see what it was going to look like.

Mission number three came Sunday afternoon when Jody and I decided that we were going to attempt to get the dresser upstairs. I know that I'm supposed to be careful when lifting heavy things, but I'm also the type of person that can't say no when I'm pretty sure I can do it. We decided that we would just go slow. Dragged the dresser in the house from the garage to the bottom of the stairs on a piece of cardboard and towel which worked great. Tried to remove the drawers to see if that would help take some of the weight off, but they weren't coming out easily and I didn't want to ruin anything. Again, we were happily surprised once we started lifting that it wasn't going to be that difficult and a few minutes later we had it sitting next to the crib.

Furniture is done, in place, and ready to be utilized. Thank you Jody for being such a good handy man this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Honey, call Target. The mattress was suppose to be shipped to your home 2-5 bus. days? It is worth a call? Love you guys and so glad to hear you are enjoying Mallory's room!

    ReplyDelete