Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Decorating with Initials

I don't really recall when decorating with initials became popular but you see it a lot in nurseries and kid's rooms. I think it's very fitting and brings some personality to a nursery, especially if the nursery is more modern than babyish. Jody was on board and even had a specific plan in mind when it came to what initials he wanted to get. He's already determined one of her nicknames will be 'MJ' so that's what he wanted to put on the wall.

Most stores only have the block letters and I really wanted to find script letters to make it more girly so I had to look for something online. I was able to find a company that offered not just script wooden letters, but had over 100 different fonts to choose from. They were also very reasonably priced. There were even different finishes and materials to choose from. We just stuck with unpainted wood so we could customize it to our liking.

We picked up a sample size of paint from Home Depot to match the furniture on Sunday morning and a couple hours later they were ready to be hung. They're really light weight and only required the double-sided foam tape to hang them on the wall. I think I would have rather had nail holes drilled in the back because sometimes the foam tape not only takes the paint off the wall when you remove it but also some of the drywall. But we used pretty small pieces so hopefully it won't be an issue.

I'm still on the hunt for some cute, unpainted wooden alphabet blocks to spell her name out that I'll put on a wall shelf with some pictures. I went looking at Michaels yesterday but they didn't have anything close to what I was looking for. Might have to just stick to getting those online as well. It seems to be that online ordering is the only way to get things now. I don't mind it when it's for items like this but I still would rather be able to see the product in person first.

No comments:

Post a Comment